Saturday, April 21, 2007

Theoretical or Practical??

Last Friday, I had a 'consultation' session with my math prof on my lesson plan (LP) assignment. It was a reflective and thought-searching one, as she went into the details in ensuring that my LP was relevant to the real world.

She's a great lecturer, and she had pre-empted me that her comments will be 'the worst', so that i will be prepared for the worst (in primary schools). The one main thing that she commented was the fact that some parts of my assignments are 'theoretical', meaning that it is written in a general manner, and lacked the practical side on the most important side, the LP itself.

As i reflected on her words (and thinkin of my grade :( ), it dawned on me this question: Am I also like the LP, too much 'theory' and short of the 'practical' aspect of life? If so, how will that affect me in my life as a Christian and how will that affect my interactions with my youths? Sometimes, I dwelled on BS too much on my youth and struggled to think of what to do for them, but neglected the practical (leading them in the application of biblical truths, having things other than BS..).

Even though I added the practical side to my assignment at the later part of the assignment, she suggested to put them into the LP itself. My first concern was space constraint, but she dismissed that. It's like real life: Why put all the application stuff somewhere (and possibility NOT use it later) when the best time to use it is NOW??

Think about it: Why wait when you can do it NOW?

Yeo

No comments: