Sunday, March 21, 2010

Reliving 7th Sept 2008..

Today marked the 4th edition of Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore triathlon race. For those who are not very familiar, it's basically an endurance sport where individuals or teams of 2-3 complete a swim, bike and run consecutively. In this specific race, pros and age groupers have to complete the 1.9km (38 laps) swim, 90.1km bike and a half marathon, all in 8.5hrs.

I went to the expo yesterday and bought some PowerBar energy gels (cheaper than G*C then) and walked around on my wet bike (it was a wet afternoon). Though there were not many people and shops, but it was great reliving what i did 2 yrs ago...

I did the race with minimal training and prep, and got into the starting line at around 7am. After swimming for an hour, i remember proceeded to do a 5min transition (way too long la), before taking the bike course. I remembered i was on the road, ready to mount. The cyclist in front was not ready and I had little space to move out, and I fell on my right! Ouch.. Fortunately no major cuts, but my chains fell off the rings. I was struggling to start riding, until a spectator call out "check the chain!". I saw the mess and tried to find a solution. Thankfully, a competitor came to assist and I proceeded on...

Around 4 hours later, back at the transition area, i was preparing for the run, and I forgot to bring my energy supplies along! Alamak! The lack of energy caused me to slow down after the first few km and caused me to become a walker. I tried to run, but the body doesn't want to.. Sigh, I tried to brisk walk, aiming at 10min per km ( at that time, my leg also complaining liao). I remembered seeing less and less spectators supporting and aid station people are resting, as i walked on the race.

Along the last 7 km, due to the sweltering heat, I placed water sponges on the front of my trisuit and proceeded to finish the race. A competitor commented "Nice boobs" as we walked on opposite sides. I don't really like the comment then, but i pushed on, knowing that I must finish the race...

As i walked towards the finishing line, there were little people at the side cheering the competitors (Now U know how slow I am). I walked on, looking at the watch and heaved a sigh of relief: I completed the race in 8:28 hrs. I was glad i made it. As i packed out my stuff at the TA, i realized that someone stole my shoebag! Argh.. Thankfully nothing important was inside...

A lot of thing can be learnt in a race: Perseverence, Determination, Patience and many more.. For those who are aiming for endurance racing, hope for the best and prepare for the worst!

Yeo

No comments: