Friday, March 13, 2009

Hazing...

Wanted to type this out for a while, ever since the news talked about a hazing incident a few months back in 2008 and wanted to share my thots on it.

What is hazing? Hazing is basically "Hazing is a ritualistic test and a task involving harassment, abuse or humiliation used as a way of initiating a person into a gang, club, military organization or other group. The definition can refer to either physical (sometimes violent) or mental (possibly degrading) practices. It may also include nudity or sexually oriented activities." (wikipedia.org). Common forms of hazing can be seen in activities such as 'tau pok' someone during birthdays, or acts where freshmen would be 'saboed' by their seniors prior to admission of a group or club.

My opinion on hazing: It should NOT be practiced, even if the group involved are close friends of one another. There are a few reasons:

1. Injuries: People who are involved can get injured through the activities, physically, mentally or emotionally. Instead of having fun, it may become a terrible accident and bad things can happen. From cut or bruises to broken bones and spine damage, anything can happen.

2. Accountability: If something happens and parents get to know the incident, who is to be responsible? If hazing happens within my cell group, I will be accountable for any loss or injury for the situation. Not that I dislike responsibility, but as a leader, I need to ensure that everyone is safe, so that parents can safely put their kids to our care. Even if I were to go into the teaching field in July 2010, I wam accountable to them and their kids too..

3. I had a very bad experience of hazing and it had hit me emotionally in my youth. Even though I had forgiven the people who were involved then, the incident left a scar in my life and I do not want to see youth following my footsteps (whether as a victim or a perpetuator), thinking that it is fun to haze someone, even if it is a while. Cause the consequences of the incident can be detrimental...

You may think that I am too sensitive, or having the thought that I'm a coward/sissy by not supporting such acts. But remember: Actions have consequences on those who are involved. Think before you act...

Yeo

3 comments:

yp said...

I have had bad experiences of this too...

Linked you!

Wee Hwa YEO said...

Thanks, but how do you tag a blog?

yp said...

what do you mean? haha...