Sunday, April 26, 2009

Life of a Sports Volunteer...

Exams are not over yet for me, but just to type my experience out from something that I am passionate about: Volunteering for Sports Events...

I remembered the first event that i volunteered for: Bike Marshall for the inaugural Aviva Ironman 70.3 Singapore in 2007. Simply said, I came and waited from 12am to 3am (to rest, for the meeting time was 3am), and at 5am we were posted to our spots. Bearing the sun and rain towards the end of the work, we ended around 2pm. It was a lonely but exciting moment, seeing all the sexy bikes of the riders passing through me.. hehee.

Yesterday, I was volunteering for TAS for the Interschool Aquathlon 09 as a sweeper. I do not hold a broom, but my role was to follow the last person of the race in his run leg. I was at ECP E2 carpark at 1115am, but my work starts only at 2pm, so in the midst of waiting, I went around the area to look look.. Seeing the children and their excited parents in this race was a nice moment. Children as young as Pri 1,2 swam 200m and 1km for their race, and the older guys and gals will do a sprint distance (i.e. 750swim, 5km run). Some photos are available in my Facebook webbie..

It was a great time basking in the sun and having fun helping out.. I think that by volunteering, it's a great start to famaliarize yourself to the sport. If you are an athlete, it will be a learning experience of how the people at the 'back' worked hard to make the events a success..

Will read up on the notes before I Zzz.. Take care..

Yeo

No comments: