Monday, April 27, 2009

"Why did you cheat us?"

Around 6 hours ago, I finished my last paper for my exams this semester. I was glad that it was over, especially the last 2 papers which are very tough (to me).. Despite the air of happiness and relief, I was a little troubled by a comment made by a peer of mine, who observed something in the discussion board for one of the exam module that I took.

It came out to be the heading of this comment, "Why did you cheat us?". It seemed that one of the questions that came out in the exam paper was something that all of us did not expect to come out. It was stated by the lecturer that 2 questions in section B will come out from 2 specific parts of the textbook (Part 1 and 3), and the unexpected question came up from part 2. As a result, a post was added, voicing his/her anger over the issue (even though the board is 'closed'). In a sense, i was one of the affected too, and did a question which I was not very familiar with in that section. I did not look into the questions until the comment was made this afternoon..

While the accusation was justified (the lecturer had said it in her last lecture and she DID NOT state that the section was included), I think the person might have been a little too sensitive on this. I do not think that the lecturers of the module had the motive/want to cheat us delibrately. It could be a mistake done on the powerpoint presentation or the lecturers did not see the questions properly and provided wrong info. Yes, we had one less question to choose, but we are supposed to be proficient in the module at the end of the semester and I think that that question could be there for us to work on too. (Though I do not dare to say that I am good in this module.)

Hope that this mistake does not affect our results.. But it seems to reflect certain expectations of our lecturers as people who must provide us with absolutely correct and accurate answers in their lectures and tutorials. We are not perfect and we make mistakes, how much more the lecturers.. So do give a thought for them...

Wonder what will happen to me if people see this post.. Will I have a pighead infront of my home, or worse still get swine flu??

2 comments:

yp said...

hahahaha

Unknown said...

Hi Wee Hwa,

I need help on aae103 sounds of english. How do I study it?
The blue colour sounds of english book is very thick and the past year exam questions are so random!
My exam is net mon morning!

Thanks.

Regards,
Eric